Child power struggles are more common than you might think, and sometimes struggles outside of the household can contribute to the cause.
When you experience persistent power struggles with your child, it can have a significant impact on your family life—altering the dynamics of relationships while causing increased stress and conflict.
The good news is: you can do something about it. With the right approach and a willingness to embrace child counselling, you can transform your child power struggles into opportunities for communication and growth.
What is a power struggle and how do I deal with it?
Before we dig any deeper, let’s consider the definition of a child power struggle:
A typical power struggle is when a child refuses to do something and the parent continues to insist that the child does it.
This ongoing (and somewhat cyclical) dialogue often transforms into a battle of wills as the parent says, ‘yes” and the child says, ‘no.’ The longer the argument persists, the more challenging it becomes for a child to comply. And, so the power struggle continues.
As you may have gathered, without breaking the ‘yes and no’ cycle, the power struggle escalates and eventually, communication breaks down completely.
So, what do you do to deal with child power struggles? To help you regain control and harmony in your home, here are some approaches to consider:
- Choose your battles rather than indulging in an argument over every issue. Sometimes, if your child goes against your will, there will be natural consequences to their actions. As long as the consequence doesn’t cause any harm, allow them to learn for themselves.
- If there is a dispute you can’t settle, position it as a problem to be solved and place your child at the heart of the solution. By guiding them through the process, you will empower them to reach a suitable resolution without conflict.
- When situations arise where you want your child to engage in something different (like turning off the TV and getting some fresh air, for example) but they don’t want to comply, arm yourself with two to three choices. Not only will offering choices engage your child more, but your request will seem like less of a demand which, in turn, is likely to yield more positive results.
- Work through your issues with a child counselling professionals to get to the root of the problem and establish clear cut goals, plans, and activities that will help you get where you need to be.
What are the benefits of child counselling?
Expanding on our previous point, a professional child counselling service will help you deal with power struggles head on. Here are the main benefits of child counselling:
- Professional child counsellors have the tools and techniques to build a rapport with your children, with proven activities, and techniques that will build confidence and encourage open communication.
- Child counselling professionals will help you get to the root of the power struggles without force or pressure, empowering you to take positive measures to create a fair, equal, and harmonious household.
- With the right approach, child counselling will help your child become calmer, happier, and well-equipped to deal with conflict.
- By embracing child counselling, you will strengthen your child-parent relationship which is, of course, priceless.
We are experts in child counselling
At Life Skills HQ, we have the talent, expertise to offer child counselling services that will tackle power struggles head on and help you improve your home life for the better.
Benefits of child counselling with Life Skills:
- We genuinely care about the individual needs of all our patients
- We are fully-certified and our experience is unrivalled
- We will work tirelessly to help you reach your goals
- We are approachable, transparent, industry-leading child counselling professionals