In these uncertain and pressured times of mass isolation, it’s likely that more Australians than ever are feeling the weight of the world on their shoulders.
If you’re suffering from stress, anxiety, depression, experiencing grief, battling an addiction, or navigating any other form of mental health-related challenge, therapy is often one of the best steps forward in getting well.
There are several different types of therapy, all tailored to tackling different challenges or issues. By taking that courageous leap and committing to speaking to professionals about your challenges, you will begin to take control of both your past, present, and future.
But, we know that taking that giant first leap can be daunting. How do you know where to start or who to trust?
To help you on your journey to a brighter, happier future here are 13 ways to spot a good therapist in Australia.
A good therapist will…
1. Respect boundaries and commit to remaining professional as well as impartial at all times.
2. Make evidence-based decisions and get to the heart of the ‘simple truth’ to help you reach it.
3. Go at your pace and not push you too hard at any point during your professional relationship.
4. Listen to your wants, needs, aims and goals from the outset to tailor the sessions to you as an individual.
5. Make it clear from the outset that they will treat you with dignity and respect regardless of your personal challenges.
6. Be accredited and professionally certified in their chosen fields of therapy.
7. Have a mission statement that includes accountability, respect, professionalism and passion.
8. Inspire you to be open, honest, confident and independent.
9. Encourage you to do the work required to get better and help you understand your role in success outside each session.
10. Understand that while you might have a condition or challenge similar to others, you are you—you are unique—and treat you as a human being. Any therapist that adopts a one-size-fits-all approach is best avoided.
11. Commit to promoting a culturally and linguistically diverse environment based on respect and free from injustice, bias or discrimination.
12. Remain completely professional at all times but not be afraid to have a laugh or two when appropriate. When you’re embarking on a journey like this, a little humour will go a long way.
13. Guide you in the right direction and offer the right style of service, helping you every step of the way if you’re unsure where to start.
We know that embarking on your therapy journey will not come easy—but trust your gut, follow this advice, and you won’t regret it.
If you’d like to take that big first step, we’re here for you. As one of Perth’s most trusted therapy services, we’re here for you.
Contact us when you’re ready and we’ll be happy to guide you through your journey, step-by-step.